What to do when someone dies

The Green Certificate


When you register the death you will be issued with a Certificate for Burial or Cremation, this is called ‘the green certificate’. This gives permission for burial or an application for cremation. You will need to give this certificate to your funeral director,  though they can start making arrangements and giving you advice before that.

Useful Addresses and Phone Numbers


Stoke on Trent Register Office

Civic Centre

Glebe  Street



Tel: 01782 235260

Newcastle  Register Office

Castle House

Barracks Road

Newcastle under Lyme


Tel: 0300 1118001

Who Registers the Death?

The person who registers the death is usually a relative of the person who has died. If no relatives are available, then the death can be registered by:

Anyone who was there when the person died.
Someone who lives in the place where the person died.
The person who’s taking responsibility for arranging the funeral.

The person who registers the death will need to visit the local Registrar, which might mean making an appointment. If you’d like support, we can accompany you to the Registrar’s Office.

What you’ll need to give to the Registrar?
The Registrar will need to know some things about the person who has died:

The date and place of their birth
Their full name
The date of death, and where it happened
Their occupation
Their home address
If they had a pension or allowance from public funds
If they were married, (if they were, the Registrar will need to know their living husband’s or wife’s date of birth).

Further Information


The Registrar will also need to see their: 

Medical Certificate of Cause of Death
National Health Service medical card (if you have it)
Birth Certificate
Marriage Certificate (if they were married)

What the Registrar will do?
They’ll issue a certificate for burial and cremation -this is known as the green certificate. This gives permission for the body to be buried or for an application for cremation to be made. You will need to give this to your funeral director. The Registrar will also give you a death certificate. Additional certified copies of the entry of death can be obtained from the Registrar for a small charge (these may be needed for legal or financial purposes).

Registering a death might work a bit differently if the Coroner  is looking into the death. If this happens we can talk to you about it and give you advice.

Further information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/register-a-death

Contact Us

When someone close to you dies, having to arrange their funeral will probably be one of the most difficult challenges you have to face in life. We’re here for you in your time of need day or night. We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year offering a personal service to the families of Newcastle-under-Lyme and Stoke-on-Trent.